MassArt's photography facilities, often referred to as the "cage," occupy the 6th floor of the Kennedy building and offer the following services:
- analog black and white developing and printing areas
- analog color printing
- digital imaging and printing
- alternative (non-silver) processes area with UV exposure unit and coating station
- negatives up to 8" x 10" can be accommodated in all areas
The department also has the following facilities:
- 2 black and white gang darkrooms (1 beginner and 1 advanced)
- 2 film-processing areas
- 1 sheet film processing room
- 3 private darkrooms
Details for the color area:
- a maximum 42" Colex RA-4 paper processor
- 9 private darkrooms, 8 of which contain 2 enlargers, 1 mural printing room, and a color correct viewing station
- Color Services Photo Lab in Needham, MA, has a pick-up and drop-off service right outside of the photography cage for film processing. Fees vary.
The photography department's digital equipment consists of the following items:
- 30 imaging workstations
- 7 Epson V750 flatbed scanners
- 3 Hasselblad Flextight X1 film scanners
- Epson 7900 and 4900 inkjet printing stations in our print rooms
Digital Lab hours for Spring 2013 semester:
(JR/SR Photo Majors only):
Tuesday - Thursday: 10am-10pm
The darkrooms and digital lab are staffed by student monitors, all of whom are photography department majors in the day-school BFA program, and is managed by 2 full-time studio managers.
The labs are open to all enrolled in a MassArt photography class, space is permitted to class priority. You may work in the area (B&W, Color, or Digital) where your class is held. If you have previously taken courses in the Photo Dept. and are enrolled in classes at MassArt and wish to use the labs, please contact the studio managers about paying a lab fee.
Cage hours and phone number:
Monday - Thursday, 10:00am - 9:30pm
Friday, 10:00am - 5:30pm
Saturday, Noon - 5:30pm
Sunday, Noon - 5:30pm
6th floor, Kennedy building
The cage and digital lab will open approximately 1 week after classes begin and close the last day of undergraduate reviews. Schedule adjusts for holidays and class breaks, please check the academic calendar for exact dates.
All labs will be closed for Photography Dept. visiting artist lectures. Please see the Events Calendar on massart.edu for lecture information.
Holiday hours: 2-9:30pm
Studio manager contacts: