MassArt's photography facilities, often referred to as the "cage," occupy the 6th floor of the Kennedy building and offer the following services:
- analog black and white developing and printing areas
- digital imaging and printing
- alternative (non-silver) processes area with UV exposure unit and coating station
- negatives up to 8" x 10" can be accommodated in all areas
The department also has the following facilities:
- 2 black and white gang darkrooms (1 beginner and 1 advanced)
- 2 film-processing areas
- 1 sheet film processing room
- 3 private darkrooms
- Color Services Photo Lab in Needham, MA, has a pick-up and drop-off service right outside of the photography cage for film processing. Fees vary.
The photography department's digital equipment consists of the following items:
- 30 imaging workstations
- 7 Epson V750 flatbed scanners
- 3 Hasselblad Flextight X1 film scanners
- Epson 7900 and 4900 inkjet printing stations in our print rooms
- Color correct veiwing booth and lighting
- Magnetic pin up boards
Digital Lab hours for Spring 2016 semester:
(JR/SR Photo Majors only):
Monday - Thursday: 10am-12:00 Midnight
Holiday hours open at 2:00pm
The darkrooms and digital lab are staffed by student monitors, all of whom are photography department majors in the day-school BFA program, and is managed by 2 full-time studio managers.
The labs are open to all enrolled in a MassArt photography class, space is permitted to class priority. You may work in the area (B&W darkroom or Digital) where your class is held. If you have previously taken courses in the Photo Dept. and are enrolled in classes at MassArt and wish to use the labs, please contact the studio managers about paying a lab fee.
Cage hours and phone number:
Monday - Thursday, 10:00am - 9:30pm
Friday, 10:00am - 5:30pm
Saturday: No0n - 5:30pm
Sunday, Noon - 5:30pm
6th floor, Kennedy building
The cage and digital lab will open approximately 1 week after classes begin and close the last day of undergraduate reviews. Schedule adjusts for holidays and class breaks, please check the academic calendar for exact dates.
All labs will be closed for Photography Dept. visiting artist lectures. Please see the Events Calendar on massart.edu for lecture information.
Holiday hours: 2-9:30pm
If you are a current Photo Major in Massart's BFA, or a candidate in our MFA, or Post-Bac programs you may reserve equipment on line using our webcheckout interface. Here is the link:
Studio manager contacts: