An internship is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent. The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE)
Massachusetts College of Art and Design offers students enrolled in a degree program the opportunity to register and receive 3 Studio Elective Credits towards your degree for your internship. To qualify, the internship would need to meet the basic guidelines and be approved for credit. Please read through the key guidelines below.
Contact Rebekah Wright, Internship Manager, (617) 879-7354, with any questions as the information here may not cover every situation. We can also assist with resumes, finding an internship, registering for credit, or what is required during your internship.
Find An Internship
You are responsible for finding and applying for an internship. This experience will give you experience with a professional job search. Career Services offers online internship listings resources, workshops, and guidance along the way. Login to search internship listings: massart.edu/careerservices. We have also created a printable step-by-step checklist to help you with internship process: Internship Checklist (PDF.)
- Must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program.
- You may complete 1-2 internships for 3 studio elective credits each, for a total of 6 credits.
- You must have completed your sophomore year. You can do an internship through first semester of your senior year.
- You must be mentored by a professional in your field
- You must complete 135 hours of internship related work within a 15 week period
- You must register before you begin your internship
- Your Faculty Internship Advisor has final approval on whether your internship is credit worthy
- The internship tasks must be art & design related and focused on learning
- You will intern onsite at a business. The company will provide equipment, software, and workspace necessary
Credit, Compensation, & Deadlines
- You can receive credit for both paid and unpaid internships.
- To receive credit you must register your internship by the add/drop deadline of the semester just like all other classes, and before you begin your internship. Retro-active credit is not given.
- If approved, you will receive 3-studio elective credits toward your major.
- You must register before you begin your internship. Retroactive credit will not be given.
- Additional hours above 135 will not be approved for more credit.
How to Register
- The registration process is done entirely online through your Career Services account. Login at massart.edu/careerservices.
- Once you submit your internship registration via your Career Services account, the information is submitted to Career Services. The information is forwarded to the designated internship supervisor and faculty internship advisor for review and approval.
- Once approved, the registrar's office will officially enroll you for 3 studio elective credits. This is all done electronically and there is no physical paperwork or additional steps.