Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to use the services provided by the Counseling and Wellness Center?
Any MassArt undergraduate or graduate student currently enrolled and working toward a degree

Do I have to pay?
No, the counseling service and wellness programs are provided to you by the college free of charge.

How do I know if I need counseling?
Counseling is appropriate for anyone who is troubled by a specific problem or has a general concern. Students seek counseling for personal growth, increased self-awareness, self esteem, anxieties, depression, family and relationship issues, as well as for acute problems such as rape, suicide and mental illness.

What are the hours for the counseling services office?
Monday through Friday from 9am until 5pm. A free slot is kept open Mon-Fri from 3-4 p.m. for anyone who wishes to "drop in".

Will my contact with the counseling center be confidential?
The information shared in a counseling session is confidential and will not be disclosed to persons or organizations outside the Counseling Center without your consent. For more information regarding confidentiality, please look on the "confidentiality" section of this website.

What do I do if I feel suicidal or like I just can't cope?
Please call the counseling center for help immediately at 617 879 7760. Tell them that your are feeling suicidal or in-crisis. If the center is not open, GO DIRECTLY TO THE NEAREST HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOM or call Public Safety at 617 879 7800. If you'd prefer to talk to someone off campus, here are several resources:

  • Call 911
  • The Samaritans (24 hour hotline): 617 247 0220
  • National Hopeline Network: 1-800-SUICIDE (784 2433)

If I decide to see a counselor, what commitments would I have to make?
Counseling at MassArt is entirely what you make of it. It is perfectly acceptable to come by just one time to talk. You and your counselor may wish to make arrangements to meet on a weekly basis at a time that is mutually agreed upon. Counseling sessions usually last for 50 minutes. We do expect that if you have made a commitment to come that you show up. If you are unable to attend a session, please call the office (617 879 7760) 24 hours in advance…others may be waiting for an appointment.

What can I do if I am concerned about a friend?
You can ask to set up a consultation with a counselor for you to discuss what is happening and what you might be able to do to help. If you think your friend is in crisis, call us immediately (617 879 7760).

Does the Counseling and Wellness Center provide academic advising?
No, the Academic Resource Center on the 8th Floor of the Tower building does. Call ARC at 617 879 7280.

Does the Counseling and Wellness Center provide career advising?
No, the Career Development office provides such advice and guidance. Call Career Development at 617 879 7779.