Library Research Tutorial
Find Books and More using the FLO Catalog
- MassArt is part of the Fenway Libraries Consortium, a network of academic libraries in the Boston area. The collections of most of these libraries appear in the FLO Catalog, which lists over a million items.
- The FLO catalog shows a book's call number and availability. The call number tells you where it is located in the stacks. (See our Map, which shows where the call number ranges are.)
- If you find an e-book in FLO, click on the title and then the MassArt link and login with your MassArt username and password if you are off campus.
- If you find a book in FLO that belongs to a non-MassArt library, you can go to that library and check out the item yourself using your barcode (located on the back of your ID). (If the book is at the MFA library, however, you can't borrow it and you can only use it on site.)
- You can also order a book online by clicking on the link titled "Make a Request" in the upper right of the screen and then entering your barcode and last name. It generally takes 2 to 4 business days for a book to arrive and we will notify you when it is ready to be picked up.
Didn't find it in FLO?
- If you can't find a book in FLO, you can search the Virtual Catalog, which lists the holdings of over 300 libraries across Massachusetts. Log in using your library barcode. You can request items online. Allow at least a week for the book to arrive.
- You can also search WorldCat, a vast database of of library catalogs in the US and abroad. Many books found in WorldCat can be requested via Interlibrary Loan. Books ordered through ILL can take up to two weeks to arrive.
Find Articles, Journals, and Electronic Resources
- To see if we have a particular journal or magazine online or in print, check our A-Z List of Periodicals.
- Use our e-resources to find journal articles and more. You can view a list of our databases in E-Resources by Subject or E-Resources Alphabetically.
- If you are off campus, log in with the same username and password that you use for your MassArt email.
- If you find a citation to an article in a database but not the article itself, click the "Search for Full Text" or "SFX" link to see if the full text is in another database that MassArt subscribes to or if it is available in print in the periodicals section on the 13th floor of the library. If it is not accessible electronically or in print, you may submit an interlibrary loan request.
Find Digital Images
- ARTstor is a database with over 1.8 million high-resolution images of art and architecture, with over 20,000 images selected specifically for MassArt courses. See our Digital Images guide for information on this and other resources.
Use our Research Guides
- The Library has a collection of online Research Guides. They list recommended books, databases, and websites on a variety of subject areas. If you have suggestions for them, contact Greg Wallace at email@example.com.